Our Cooperative and Condominium Practice Group represents residential and mixed-use cooperative corporations and condominium associations. Our professionals have experience handling a wide range of real estate matters, including:
- General representation and counseling on policy issues.
- Working closely with boards and managing agents on all issues.
- Preparation of contracts for building improvements.
- Issuance of additional shares.
- Amendments to corporate/condominium documentation such as by-laws.
- House rules and proprietary leases.
- Leading annual meetings of shareholders/unit owners and board meetings.
- Underlying mortgage refinancings.
- Preparation of offering plans.
- Unit owner and sponsor defaults.
- Commercial leases.
- Corporate matters.
The Cooperative and Condominium Practice Group handles all facets of real estate litigation, including arbitrations and mediations, shareholder/unit owner dispute resolutions and litigations, and litigation with insurance carriers over coverage. In addition, TKD professionals have extensive experience with all types of construction agreements with contractors, architects and designers.
Our litigators have experience in a broad scope of matters, including:
- Sponsor default.
- Advice with respect to 80/20 income allocations, including formation of separate entities to hold commercial leases.
- Relationships between co-ops/condos and sponsors and other investors, and between residents; with commercial tenants; with utilities including telecom companies.
- Tax abatement.
- Unauthorized construction.
- Transfer issues and discrimination complaints.
- Unauthorized subletting.
- Nuisance abatement and noise complaints.
- Compliance with local laws.
- New York City Buildings Department and other agency issues.
- Budget planning and issues involving flip taxes, assessments and loans.
- Counseling and advice regarding major capital projects.
- Relations with community boards and block associations.